Thursday 30 April 2009

Bitter Chocolate and Business


I just finished reading Bitter Chocolate by Lesley Lokko, who is one of my favourite authors of the moment. I read Sundowners, on the recommendation of my sister, and loved it so much that I know I will be reading her books for as long as she continues to write them.

Anyway, what I love most about her books is the way she weaves such intricate storylines. She takes seemingly unconnected characters and brings them together through deliciously unpredictable twists and turns. She is always surprising and believable at the same time. My favourite thing though, is that the heroines always have their fair share of woe. They get taken down to rock bottom, and we journey with them as they fight their way up to triumph.

I am trying to channel that fighting spirit now as I get ready to launch a new business idea I’m working on…I’m really hoping it catches on as it’s to do with food (and who doesn’t love food?). I will be launching a separate blog for it (soonish) and will let you know when it’s up and running. Wish me luck!!

P. S. My sister (who loves to read but is mortally afraid of bookshops, bookselling websites like Amazon and anything to do with buying books) goes to the shops and buys Lesley Lokko’s books. Doesn’t that say something? That someone who would rather maim herself than face what she thinks is the sensory overloaded world of book-buying would leave her house, get on a bus, enter a bookshop and endure the experience until the chip and pin machine has confirmed that her transaction is OK?

1 comments:

Mpana said...

Lokko's books are wonderful reads. I haven't read Bitter Chocolate, but her first two were...jeh:)!

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com