Thursday 27 September 2007

Involuntary Voyeurism

It’s been five days in the new place. So far so good. Anyway, you know how they say each house has its own night time sounds? Usually, its things like creaking floorboards or dripping taps or trees scraping against a window. In this new place however, it’s not so much the sounds as the sights that are proving to be a startling experience.

The other day, America and I were having a glass of wine and a chat in the kitchen. When I looked up, I found that I had a clear long view into the kitchen across the street. I think there is an unwritten rule that blinds aren’t allowed on kitchen windows on our street or something. So anyway, you can imagine how shocked I was to find that the man in the kitchen across the street, was standing there cooking in his altogether. Yes, he was cooking…naked. Heaven help us! For modesty’s sake (ours not his) we picked up our glasses and went into the living room where thankfully, the blinds were drawn.

Similarly, the day after that, another guy in another window in another flat decided to do his washing up in a stripey blue apron, and nothing else underneath. Of course, we only found out there was nothing underneath, when he turned round to open his fridge and his clenched bare rump glared back at us from across the street. Have we unknowingly moved into nudist territory? Is stripping down to basics some sort of weekend therapy for overworked yuppy alpha males? Why must they be naked in the only blind-less room in their house, the kitchen, for crying out loud? Is there some male perspective to this that I don’t get? Surely they know they can be seen…Thank goodness for the wholesome view of the park on the other side of the house – at least we have other viewing options when these men decide to expose themselves.

My mum is hilarious. The only comment she made concerning these exhibitionists when I complained to her, was that they should be very careful, lest they sit down to tuck into a fry up one Sunday morning, and discover they have extra protein, as it were, on their plate. She has since gone catatonic on the subject, and America and I are trying to master the art of averting our gaze…

4 comments:

Bitchy said...

I walk around naked in my flat, especially in the kitchen. At first I worried that people would see me and so pulled blinds closed or ducked low so that my body was well below window level. But then it grew tedious, and after a while, I just couldn't be arsed to care! And I'm a girl!! Should I be worried? Do I have issues?

Atutupoyoyo said...

Congratulations on the move. I am in the middle of the process myself and I know how tedious it can be.

I have never understood the whole walking around naked in one's flat thing. There is something of a repressed exhibtionist about it. I find that the feel of leather against my naked derriere is not a particularly welcome sensation.

Emz said...

The thing is, like Bitchy, I'm not averse to walking around naked in one's own home. It's fine. I do it sometimes, everyone does, right? Even you, Atutu (hahaha). But I don't do it when I KNOW FOR A FACT that I can be SEEN BY THE WHOLE NEIGHBOURHOOD. My flatmate and I are considering various plans of action - which range from buying binoculars and staring him down down to shame him, and putting blinds on the kitchen window and keeping them permanently drawn. Looks like it might have to be the binoculars option, cos I'm a bit of a natural light/fresh air freak, and the thought of being hemmed in by a permanently shut curtain is depressing...I will keep you all posted. Meanwhile, good luck with your move. Hope the new place is fab!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!!! The naked chefs..... lol

Like good old Bitchy, I too walk around naked in my flat all the time. So don't worry bitchy, you haven't gotissues.... unless we both have issues.... hmmm

Anyway, get this.... I don't mean to gross you out but, my sister has a neighbour (whose house is actually far away, thankfully - but we can still see him!) who always stands by the window. We can see him from across our living room, he is not only naked but also bloody W**KING.... We call him the w&&ker.... lol....

Who in their right mind does this?
Now my sis has a child. I find this very disturbing.....

What should she do?Call the police? Move?

People are crazy ......

PS.... I should blog about this........Or maybe not

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com