Thursday 24 May 2007

Like Discarding Knickers

















Images from www.thestorkwearhouse.com




Almost everyone I know now has some sort of parallel life they’re living. Between Facebook, MySpace, Hi5 and MSN, people have the opportunity to choose what name they want to be called, how they want it spelt, and for how long they want that name to refer to them. When their screen name no longer suits them, it is discarded, yes, like disposable knickers. It makes me wonder (and please forgive me for the terrible cliché) what’s in a name? If changing our real life first and surnames didn’t involve the hassle of public announcements, appearances in court and tracking down every bank, telephone and gas company we did business with, would we change those too? If we use online communities to share what we think are the most interesting parts of our lives (apart from for confidentiality reasons) why do we chop and change our names? Do they detract from our fun-loving, happy-go-lucky online image? And what informs the pseudonyms we give ourselves? Are they suited to the mood we were in when we logged on, or to the nature of the new nugget of information we upload to share with the world? Or do they embody the sentiments we’d rather our parents had considered when they called us so and so? If names are as personal as they are said to be, then how are we able to disregard them even temporarily?

Or is that just the point? Do we dump our names temporarily sometimes to experiment with the freedom of being nameless, characters who can absorb and exhibit and experiment with different personas/characteristics? And if that's the case, aren't we then saying that our given names stifle and constrict us?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you can see, I'm clearly playing catch-up.

I love my name, wouldn't change it for all the tea in China (solely because I don't touch the stuff). I love the sound, the way it looks when I write it and the meaning. I feel like it suits me.

On another note, I absolutely REFUSE to be a part of all that Hi5, facebook, myspace crap. I like who I am and if you want to know the real me it's here with me, in me and not on an internet site. (Also, I don't like people randomly getting back in touch with me - I'm in contact with all the people I want to be in contact with, Aunty Oprah, Channing Tatum, Will Smith, Nelson Mandela and Josh Holloway being the exception for obvious reasons).

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com